Thursday, December 9, 2010

Oatmeal Blueberry Scones


Well my secret is out. Breakfast is my favorite. If I could eat breakfast for every meal of the day, I probably would be tempted to do so. That being said, I think it makes complete sense that muffins and now scones have been a recent popular item on BOOF. However, making scones have always scared me. I realized that I needed to conquer this fear so gathered up my courage and made some scones. They were good. They had blueberries. They also had oatmeal. I really like those things. I like them even more together in the scone form.

Adapted from Epicurious

Ingredients

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
1 Cup of Blueberries
2/3 cup buttermilk plus additional for brushing

Directions

1) Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.

2) Sift together flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3) Add 1 1/3 cups oats and mix together with your hands.

4) Add butter and and work until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small lumps.

5) Transfer to a bowl and add buttermilk and stir with a fork until a dough just forms.

6) Gently knead on a floured surface a few times.

7) Pat into a 9-inch square (1/2 inch thick). Cut into 9 (3-inch) squares. Cut each square diagonally to form 2 triangles. (Or just make approximately 18 two inch blobs.

8) Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

9) Brush with buttermilk and bake until golden brown, about 16 minutes.

10) Share and Enjoy!

These were raved about. I will make scones again. They are the best when the just come out of the oven and still have a little warmth to them. Ugh, I want these with coffee right now. Like this second. Sigh.

Made: 12/09/10
"Posted": 12/09/10
Posted: 06/01/11


No comments: