Saturday, December 4, 2010
Brown Rice Casserole
Oh Hey Heidi. Thanks for continual vegetarian deliciousness. I really do appreciate it.
I am not sure why I haven't made this since my original adventure because it was so delicious...and got better by the day. I believe that I will have to get on that soon. However, although this dish is vegetarian, you obviously don't need to be one to enjoy it but if you do insist, I think you brown up some ground beef or turkey and it would work well with the rest of the ingredients.
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks
1/2 pound of sliced and cleaned mushrooms ( I just used a pint)
1 large onion
3 gloves of garlic
3 cups of cooked brown rice
2 large eggs
1 cup of feta cheese
1 cup of black olives
2 cups of spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup of parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Boil and cook brown rice
3) Heat a medium saucepan with a dab of oil and oil a 9x13 or 9x9 (just depends on how much you make) baking pan.
4) Add mushrooms to the pain and saute with olive oil.
5) Add onions to the pan and cook for another 4-5 minutes until translucent
6) Add in garlic to the pan and stir for another minute or so.
7) Add Spinach and mix until they begin to wilt.
8) Turn of the heat and add brown rice to the pan and mix well.
9) In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, cheese and salt.
10) Combine the brown rice mix, black olives and the egg mixture, stir well and then spread evenly in your baking dish
11) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and cover with foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
12) Remove foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes until a pretty golden brown on the outside border.
13) Top with remaining cheese and fresh herb of your choice
14) Share and ENJOY!
Yeah, I need to make this again. Warms my heart just thinking about it. Also, another cool thing about this dish is that you can make it and really cater it to your personal liking...add whatever you would like, it is sure to be delicious.