Adapted from Joy the Baker
7 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lime
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar for topping
1) Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners or grease muffin pan
3) Melt and brown butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Watch carefully and remove from heat.
4) Whisk milk, egg, yolk, vanilla and lime zest until combined. Add the brown butter and combine.
5) Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
6) Add milk and butter mixture all at one and stir gently to combine.
7) Gently but thoroughly fold in the cranberries.
8) Divide the batter among muffin cups and spread evenly and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
9) Bake for about 18-20 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
10) Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from the pan.
11) Share and Enjoy!
These are really quite good especially for those who like tart flavored things. I really like the nutty flavor that the browned butter brought to the muffin and the lime provided the perfect citrus balance. I will make these again soon. Yes, yes I will.