Saturday, September 4, 2010

Orzo Salad with Chickpeas, Dill, and Lemon


Now, you're going to be like WHYYYY are you making so much pasta? that is a poop load of carbs. I will not disagree with you there, but I will have you know that I am one of those whole-wheat pasta junkies...so at least I have that going for me? right? Actually, although the past couple of recipes have just come out of whatever I wanted to make, this next slew of recipes is courtesy of my "Cooking Light: Pasta" book. I mean, low carb and full of tasteeee. What more can a girl ask for?

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked orzo
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions ( I used regular yellow)
1/2 Cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1 can Chickpeas
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 tablesppon of salt
2 minced garlic cloves

Directions:
1) Cook pasta according to package directions
2) Drain and rinse with cold water
3) Combine cooked pasta, onions, feta, dill and chickpeas in a large bowl and stir gently to combine
4) Combine lemon juice, olive oil, water, salt and ginger in a smaller bowl and mix well and toss over pasta mixture.
5) Stir well and season with additional salt and pepper to taste
6) Enjoy and Share!

I really liked this dish. It was a quick and filling meal with left overs for lunch the following day. it is perfect for a busy 20something, but can easily work well for a pot luck or family dinner. :-)

No comments: