A while back, I had a dinner with good buddies of BOOF, Clairebear and Brookster. We were at Clairebear's place and she cooked this delicious meal featuring a Gnocchi recipe that I knew I had to recreate. Apparently, one of her good friends had been making it for her for the past few years, so she thought she would try and recreate it herself. Now, here I am trying to recreate her recreation! That is how these things work though...the beauty of passing recipes along. :-)
Unlike my previous Gnocchi recipe, this one was not simmered in a cream base but rather a spicy tomato marinate. Honestly, I like my gnocchi any way that it comes, but I really enjoyed the nice kick that this one gives.
1 16-ounce package of shelf-stable gnocchi
1 Medium yellow onion (Thinly sliced)
4 Garlic Cloves Minced
1/2 Cup of Water
6 Cups of Spinach (or Swiss Chard)
1 150ounce can of diced tomatoes (I used the tasty fire roasted ones from TJ's) :-)
1 15-ounce can of white beans, rinsed (i used garbanzo because that is what I had on hand)
1/2 cup of Shredded Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 Cup finely shredded Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper
1) Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2) Add Gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown (5-7 minutes). Transfer to a bowl.
3) Add another 1 teaspoon of oil and onion and saute over medium heat (approx 2 minutes).
4) Stir in garlic and water and cover and cook until the onion is soft (4-6 minutes).
5) Add spinach and cook until it begins to wilt (1-2 minutes). Stir in the tomatoes, beans and peppers and bring to a simmer.
6) Stir in the Gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling (approx 2-3 minutes).
7) Enjoy and Share (and pass it on to your friends too!)
This recipe is super good and you should pass it on. Well, make it for you and your friends...and then pass it on. ;-)