you are probably all like “why is she eating so many sugar snap peas”? because they are uber delicious, that’s why. well really, it’s because i found two fantastic recipes that used them and they are quite delicious, so I thought why not? I should cook them before they go bad anyways!
so i took to epicurious again for this absolutely spectacular recipe. the recipe is super easy but it does take some time (marinating tofu), and I do believe that shockingly as a vegetarian, this was my first successful attempt at making tofu. POINT, me.
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil *Substituted with olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 12-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained, cut into 3/4-inch cubes, patted dry with paper towels
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps quartered* I just used regular white mushrooms
8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger* I mean, i just don’t keep ginger in the house…
4 green onions, sliced on diagonal* I just used 1 regular yellow
1) Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Add tofu and stir to coat; let marinate 30 minutes.
2) Drain, reserving marinade in small bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup water and cornstarch into marinade.
3) Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer tofu to plate.
4) Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to skillet and add mushrooms and stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes.
5) Add sugar snap peas; stir-fry 2 minutes. Then add onions and garlic and stir-fry about 30 seconds.
6) Add tofu back to skillet and drizzle reserved marinade mixture over.
7) Stir-fry until marinade thickens slightly, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.8) Enjoy and Share! :-)
Additional notes: the actual epicurious recipe calls for green onions and ginger but I didn’t have any of those in the house, so I just used what was at my disposal. Remember to buy EXTRA-FIRM tofu because on my last tofu attempt a long time ago, i didn’t buy the extra firm and then my recipe was a disaster. Hence, I have not cooked it since. But, extrafirm= wonderous. oh by the way, this recipe is SUPER delicious. SUPER.
Recipe adapted from: