Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stir-Fried Tofu with Mushrooms, Sugar Snap Peas and Onions

you are probably all like “why is she eating so many sugar snap peas”? because they are uber delicious, that’s why. well really, it’s because i found two fantastic recipes that used them and they are quite delicious, so I thought why not? I should cook them before they go bad anyways!
so i took to epicurious again for this absolutely spectacular recipe. the recipe is super easy but it does take some time (marinating tofu), and I do believe that shockingly as a vegetarian, this was my first successful attempt at making tofu. POINT, me.


Ingredients
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil *Substituted with olive oil
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 12-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained, cut into 3/4-inch cubes, patted dry with paper towels
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps quartered* I just used regular white mushrooms
8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger* I mean, i just don’t keep ginger in the house…
4 green onions, sliced on diagonal* I just used 1 regular yellow

Directions

1) Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Add tofu and stir to coat; let marinate 30 minutes.
2) Drain, reserving marinade in small bowl. Whisk 1/4 cup water and cornstarch into marinade.
3) Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sauté until golden, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer tofu to plate.
4) Add remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to skillet and add mushrooms and stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes.
5) Add sugar snap peas; stir-fry 2 minutes. Then add onions and garlic and stir-fry about 30 seconds.
6) Add tofu back to skillet and drizzle reserved marinade mixture over.
7) Stir-fry until marinade thickens slightly, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.8) Enjoy and Share! :-)

Additional notes: the actual epicurious recipe calls for green onions and ginger but I didn’t have any of those in the house, so I just used what was at my disposal. Remember to buy EXTRA-FIRM tofu because on my last tofu attempt a long time ago, i didn’t buy the extra firm and then my recipe was a disaster. Hence, I have not cooked it since. But, extrafirm= wonderous. oh by the way, this recipe is SUPER delicious. SUPER.

Recipe adapted from:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Stir-Fried-Tofu-with-Mushrooms-Sugar-Snap-Peas-and-Green-Onions-109075#ixzz0pTf3SPyS
Posted by Picasa

No comments: