Thursday, November 4, 2010

Apple Spice Cake





i love apples (peeled). i love apple (pie). i don't love apple (juice). i love hot apple (cider). i love apple (sauce). i love (baking) with apple (sauce).

Yes, it is true. I have a deep love for many things apple (except apple juice...i actually hate that stuff...it is weird but I won't get into it). When I first started really getting into my baking and I found out that BOOF buddy Mits did not eat eggs, I was unsure of what to use as a substitute. I found many numerous recipes that used all of these crazy supplements, but I wanted something more natural...and something that I could eat and use on a regular basis. Enter: Apple Sauce.

It has been a love-love relationship ever since and I have been able to create some pretty tasty things that are eggless which also makes them better for ya! Unfortunately this recipe has eggs in it, but I am on my way to finding a way to make it eggless but not too moist...that is the problem my friends.

I had never made an apple spice cake before but I have definitely eaten my fair share, but when I saw this recipe from Deb at Smitten Kitchen, I knew that I had to make this. Probably more than once. This recipe is super easy and super delicious and I chose to put the icing on it, but it works wonderfully as a breakfast cake minus the icing. So yummy. So Autumn. So Perfect.

Ingredients
For the Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce

For the Icing:
5 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2- 1 teaspoon teaspoon cinnamon ( I use the full whopping 1 teaspoon...cinnamon just adds so much delicious flavor!)

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Butter baking dish ( I recommend 8 or 9 inch square)
3) MAKE the CAKE: Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
4) Beat butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Add eggs one at a time, beating well.
6) Add in apple sauce and beat well.
7) Spread batter in pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes until golden-brown. Do the toothpick Test!
8) Cool for about 15-20 minutes and then loosen the cake before turning it upside down, so it comes out of the pan to cool some more. DO not forget this step...I may have...
9) MAKE the ICING: Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy.
10) Sift confectioners sugar and cinnamon over cream cheese mixture, then beat at medium speed until incorporated.
11) Spread frosting over top of cooled cake.
12) SHARE and ENJOY

I really enjoyed this cake and I was surprised at how easy this was. I find this cake hard to judge because it is so moist, so just try and use your best judgment when removing it from the oven. Remember, a little too moist never hurt anyone. ;-)

Made: 11/04/10
Posted: 01/13/11

No comments: