Friday, April 23, 2010

Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies

eggless cookies and brownies galore.

For good friend of BOOF's birthday, ml, I wanted to do something special because with his religion, he's a vegetarian plus no eggs. I always find ways to bake things eggless in the office but knowing that his favorite dessert is brownies, it was my number 1 goal to finally master the eggless brownies after numerous failed attempts. Because numerous of my co-worker buddies also boast sweet "teeth", I also decided that I would try and master the eggless chocolate chip cookie. Mission Possible. Yes.

I quickly got to googling to try and find the best way to tackle both ventures and was quickly grabbed by a brownie-from-scratch which featured applesauce. Because I have tried making brownies with applesauce before, I was a little skeptical but I had also used the mix and not made it from scratch. Knowing that it was going to take a little more effort on my part, I gladly accepted the challenge and got baking.

On the other hand, I had never tried to make eggless chocolate chip cookies, so this would be a completely new adventure. I found an "easy" cookie recipe that featured non-fat plain yogurt as the holding ingredient, so I thought I would give it a try.

Both recipes were very simple to make and thankful to my wonderful kitchen-aid mixer, I was able to successfully bake the brownies and 3 dozen cookies in 1 1/2 hours. Take that Betty!

Now baking was the relatively easy part, but the taste was a whole different ball game. I was able to taste the cookies while they were cooling, and I was so taken back by how good they were. As a chocolate cookie expert, I have very high expectations and I just dont usually trust the reviews but boy, were they right. The cookies ended up being the perfect consistency and were nice and browned on the edges while remaining deliciously delectible and chewy on the inside. yum. I usually have very high expectations for my baking, so this high of a review was a lot coming from me but the same sentiments were reciprocated by my work buddies. They raved about the cookies and insisted that I should get them patented and probably open a bakery to pay for my medical school education...this is something i'm really considering. :-D

Now, the brownies on the other hand, I was super nervous about. I couldn't taste them beforehand because clearly, that just would look weird. So, I had to wait until I got to work and I would let ml, the birthday boy, be the first official taste tester. He LOVED them. Now, anything that is chocolate ml will love, so I had to get my own review as well as my other co-workers reviews before I knew they were the real deal. Welp, they were definitely the real deal. The applesauce allowed the brownies to have a beautifully fudgy moist interior, but yet they were still fluffy and not crumbly on the outside. ML was convinced that the brownies were not going to make it home with him because he was going to eat them all by the end of the day, and actually we were all very concerned about this because we thought that we would continue munching on them for the rest of the day.

Although he was able to take about five brownies home with him (he started with 20 on the day), he was only left with one chocolate chip cookie because we demolished those. Nevertheless, I think that I am going to tend to bake more things eggless more often...as a matter of fact, I think i will potentially be baking all my chocolate chip cookies eggless because those were probably the best cc cookies that i have ever had. no lie.

Cookie Grade: A












Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips










Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the brown sugar, white sugar, margarine and shortening until light and fluffy. Stir in yogurt and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until incorporated, then mix in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges begin to brown. Cool for a minute on the cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments: