Tuesday, June 1, 2010

smoke-roasted stuffed bell peppers

yup, lets go back in time. a lot is getting ready to come at you so let’s get ready to rumble.
secretly, this wasn’t the recipe that i wanted to make that night (hopefully, that recipe will come in the upcoming week or so) but unfortunately, only the “broil” buttons on our oven were actually working at this point, so this is what was decidedly made. not saying that I was not excited to make this because believe you me, i was thrilled. i mean, look at the pictures.

this recipe was adapted from the wonderful Deb of smitten kitchen and i made a few changes to my taste buds here and there.

Ingredients
2 medium red bell peppers3 medium mixed bell peppers (orange, yellow, green)..I think I only used 1 bell pepper because i was only feeding me!)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (Or regular salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped (i may have not included this either…but is up to you)
2 cloves garlic, minced (yeahh, I didn’t use this)
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 medium fresh or frozen corn kernels (I actually used canned which worked well for me!)
1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as parley, oregano, basil or a mix)* Again, I believe this is optional
2 tablespoons grates Parmesan cheese (optional)* Instead, I used feta on top and it was DELICIOUS

Directions
1 ) Halve two large bell peppers and remove the seeds.
2) Either pre-heat your broiler on medium OR turn on your grill :-)
2) Dice in to small pieces: 1/2 of zucchini, 1/2 squash, 1 small bell pepper, 1 medium.
3) Add diced vegetables to halved bell peppers
4) Add 1/4 cup of corn to each halved bell pepper
5) Add two tablespoons of black beans to each halved bell pepper
6) Top with feta, herbs and butter; season with salt and pepper
7) Broil for about 15-20 minutes or grill for 20-30 minutes.
8) Enjoy and Share!

Additional Notes: Although Deb’s recipe has really intense details on how to get this intense “smoky” flavor in the stuffed bell peppers, I really just don’t have time for all of that. i am sure that makes it that much more delicious but my recipe was really good, super quick and very filling. You can really add or minus to your liking but i would stick with the squash, tomatoes, corn and some sort of cheese.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/08/napa-wrapper/
Posted by Picasa

No comments: