Thursday, March 25, 2010
asparagus and goat cheese pasta
veggieventures in the kitchen :-)
* 1 pound fusilli or rotini (spiral-shaped pasta)
* 1 pound slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon plus sprigs for garnish
* 1 5-to 5 1/2-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add asparagus and cook until pasta is tender but still firm to bite, about 3 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, combine oil, lemon peel, and chopped tarragon in large bowl. Coarsely crumble in goat cheese.
Drain pasta and asparagus, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Add hot pasta, asparagus, and 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid to bowl with cheese mixture. Toss to coat, adding more reserved liquid if dry. Season pasta to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow platter. Garnish with tarragon sprigs.
** My substitutions…I added basil instead of tarragon and used whole wheat pasta.